LHS Athletics Contact:
101 Blue Pride Dr.
Lawton, MI 49065
Information for participating at LHS
Physicals must be dated on or after April 15 of the previous year in order to be valid for following year participation. All student-athletes must have a valid physical and medical consent form ON FILE in the high school office prior to tryout/participation in any high school sport activity.
REQUIREMENTS for MEMBERSHIP and PARTICIPATION
Prior to tryouts:
- Current Physical and Consent form ON FILE in Student Activities Office.
- Academic and transfer eligibility per MHSAA guidelines
ATHLETES MUST ATTEND TRYOUTS IN ORDER TO BE SELECTED TO A TEAM! During the season:
- Academic eligibility per Lawton Community Schools guidelines.
- Daily attendance at school and practice
- Adherence to student - athlete Code of Conduct
The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) requires student-athletes pass four out of six classes at the end of the previous semester in order to participate the next semester. Lawton Community Schools requires passing five of six classes on a weekly basis. Transfer students should contact the Athletic Director to determine eligibility.
Lawton Community Schools typically schedule physicals at the end of each school year for a nominal fee. Sports physicals are also available on short notice at the following locations:
|Kalamazoo Valley Orthopedics (KVO)||Advanced Occupational Medicine||Physicians of Physical Medicine|
|315 Turwill Lane||2597 Sprinkle Road||7901 12th St. - Suite 200|
|Kalamazoo, MI 49008||Kalamazoo, MI 49001||Portage, MI 49024|
|(269) 343 - 8170||(269) 345 - 8638||(269) 373 - 7200|
TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA:
When tryouts must be held in order to select an appropriate number of team participants, coaches typically consider at least the following items in assessing individual players. One aspect of the list is not necessarily more important than any other in the selection process. Coaches must make discretionary judgments regarding players. Such judgments will stand unless substantial deviation from stated guidelines and procedures is evident. Athletes must attend tryouts in order to be selected to a team!
- Sport specific skill and/or overall athletic ability.
- Attendance at practice/tryout sessions.
- Cooperative attitude/work ethic towards coaches and other players.
- Previous history of involvement in the sport.
- “Coachability” as reflected by following team guidelines, accepting criticism and attempting to meet or surpass the coaches expectations.
- Positive communication with coaches and players.
- Potential for development.
- Desire as demonstrated through maximum effort in all team activities.
It is the expectation of Lawton Community Schools that participants and spectators exhibit appropriate decorum. Positive support of players and teams is encouraged. Negative behavior that detracts from positive competition is not acceptable. Spectators exhibiting disruptive and/or negative behavior may be removed from the premises. Please show total RESPECT for players, coaches, and officials who are doing their best to uphold the values of educational athletics.
For questions contact the Athletics Office at (269) 624 - 7807:
Chris Richter, Director of Athletics firstname.lastname@example.org